So my friend wanted to create a FPS. We sat down a few days ago, and I started working on the bird model and rigging. I don’t have a lot of experience in that so my modeling and rigging was pretty slow..
Anyways even though it takes me forever to model. UI is a different story. I asked about some requirements, took down some notes, stared at what the programmer came up with and panicked for a minute…
But then I came to my senses and I looked at western UI from other games, I didn’t actually see much I liked but it gave me some ideas on maybe where I could improve. I wanted something cartoony, but with a strong western feel.
So I started a quick mock-up… I actually tried some wireframe tools but found them so slow and painful to use, I just put them away. I like the idea of wireframe tools but if it only takes me an hour or two create some starting assets, it’s just faster for me to mock-up and create at the same time. I thought I’d just skip ahead and in an few short hours I created a starting point for what I wanted the mock-up to look like. I know I’m terrible for not doing concept art but sometimes it’s better to make something then be stuck moving boxes around.
My thoughts on this, was I wanted the center background to be easiest to see, as the background changed a lot I didn’t want to cover it up. I can always condense the server stuff even further if I need to make it easier to notice the background. I choose a dropdown to handle server stuff because I figured that was faster to search then with other methods. I’m sure someone out there is dying from OCD because none of the stuff below is properly lined up.
No, I didn’t have all the fonts picked out yet, I didn’t know what to do about colors yet either, I just wanted to get some ideas out there for now. I passed it over to the programmer for review, he thought it was a good start and I agreed with him. This is basically a bunch of boxes with a texture laid on the back, so it’s basically zero effort. The title I pushed through a logo template set I have, I’ll have to fix it later but it got the idea across. I decided to stick with the open source Rye the programmer choose and added Lato which I thought was cute. (Obviously not as cute as bookman sans but that isn’t open source)
We talked about converting the Controls section over to a wanted poster for some visual interest, I thought that seemed like a good idea, but I would need another font for that. So me and the programmer looked for some open source fonts and I wanted something similar to Mircosoft’s Playbill. We eventually settled on Smokum, and I did some quick work on the wanted poster.
Well, from here I broke down some art assets I figured I would need at some point… Because I thought I’d do the easy stuff first. I made some wood and called it good enough and thought about what to do.
But I was stuck now.. I needed a better way to handle input.
The programmer was pretty upset with this redesign and it’s understandable. He wanted me to condense the Client options, add another option and fix the flow. After some back and forth we eventually came to use this.
And that was the final mock-up. I added a few more buttons for later on in case we needed them. An Info button that would talk about server info and an options button that would allow you to change volume, mouse sensitivity etc. I also added some bullet holes, some part way through and some actual holes. I also changed the text because I didn’t quite get the programmer jabber and tried to make the options make “more sense” since the programmer complained my labels didn’t make a lot of sense, so there I wrote it easier for the layman to get started.
Anyway I’ll continue to update this post as I keep working on this. I’d like to show the in-game version later on, along with the rest of the menu’s.